January 14, 2018

ARKANSAS TRAVEL GUIDES AND MYSTERIES AT A TWO-FOR-ONE PRICE.



Radine Trees Nehring of Arkansas Asks: 

Wouldn’t it be fun to live the life of a travel writer?  They get free trips to luxury destinations—don’t they? They get fabulous meals, free entry to events, and much more. (Yes, they do. I did travel writing early in my writing career.) 

So, why did I end up becoming a full-time mystery writer?  Was it just because I enjoyed reading mystery novels, and wanted to try writing one?


No, dear reader. It was also because I fell in love with a state that had many prime destinations and events for tourists to enjoy and I wanted to share that with the world. In what was my own fun decision, I fell into writing about (fictitious, mostly) crimes in some of those real places and in real buildings.


Did the people responsible for those destinations yelp with rage when they learned I planned to set a crime novel that included a murder in their prime place and would depict the location as it really was? Far from it. They realized, when I hadn’t, (remember, I was doing this for fun and to share great news about Arkansas) what an advertising bonus such a novel set in any tourist destination could be. If mystery readers learned about their location and the exciting events that took place there, even if fictitious, it would be good advertising for them. “Their” novel would be a terrific promotion venue and I was going to do all the work. So it’s no wonder that staff members in various locations often jumped enthusiastically into my research sessions. They took me into all kinds of places not normally open to the public, and frequently made plot suggestions: “Radine, look here, couldn’t you hide (something) here? And then we could .  .  .  . What do you think?” 

If anyone ever noticed that I did not use most of their plot suggestions, no one ever complained. And I have remained friends with individuals at most of the locations I chose, another added bonus. Not only that, many continue to sell copies of their location’s novel.



Your bonus? By looking at my web site you may select any one of the novels described there and enter to win it by commenting on this post. I will blind-draw an entry. Please include a form of contact and the novel you select when you comment. Thank you, chose your destination and enjoy the trip!   


Radine Trees Nehring, 2011 Inductee, Arkansas Writers Hall of Fame
Sharing the magic and mystery of the Arkansas Ozarks in award-winning
articles, essays, short stories, and To Die For novels
http://www.RadinesBooks.com

8 comments:

  1. Photos on this blog include fishing in Buffalo National River (A River to Die For), the Books in Bloom Festival at the 1886 Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, AR. (The hotel is a setting for A Wedding to Die For.) and the Art Library at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, AR. (Where Carrie McCrite volunteers in A Portrait to Die For.) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radine,
    Great post! It's obvious that you're proud of your state!
    I feel the same way about Ohio. I was honored to have been featured on this site twice and my first three Malone mysteries take place in Cincinnati - my way of paying tribute to my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting post. I was born in Arkansas, but my parents moved to Arizona (prior post) when I was just 6 weeks old. We did go back there to visit relatives during my childhood and I remember how lush and green the place was. I'm not commenting to win. Right now I'm guilted with too many books I can't seem to get to. I hope to correct that problem when I finally retire some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Radine. Great post, and lots of inspiration to do something similar with places in the states we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A most interesting post with wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating post filled with information and photos which I enjoyed greatly. Your books sound intriguing. If I win I would love to read A Journey to Die For. Thanks for your feature. elliotbencan(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to commenters (commentators?) for very interesting additions here.

    Petite-"A Journey to Die For" opens on a real train ride (well, LIKE the real ones) and includes, rare for me, a real person...Chuck Dovish, host of the real weekly Public Television program, "Exploring Arkansas." (I used him with his blessing. Always ask!)
    Radine

    J.R.--As you read in the post, using real locations can boost book sales, and it's truly fun if you choose a place you enjoy or live. I have done both.

    Linda--Too many books? Oh wow, do I understand your problem! (And I also have saved older favorites, hoping to re-read them all, though I have made it to only two or three so far, and I sure did enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia--you're writing a well-known, loved location. You know it's a terrific choice, as do I.

    Traveler, many thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest