February 4, 2018

Barbara Edwards Presents Connecticut’s Lighthouses



Connecticut was the hub for whaling ships for a hundred years, providing whale oil for lamps and soap, baline for corset stays and the basis for perfume. Every part of the whale was used. Ports sent out ships that might be away for two or three years, filling their holds. At the mouth of each harbor was a lighthouse.

I’ve wanted to tour those lighthouses for years and this summer I took the Long Island Ferry tour.  It left the New London waterfront for a two hour tour. Unlike Gilligan we had fine weather as the ferry cruised the rock Connecticut shoreline. 

It quickly became apparent why the lighthouses are needed. The shoreline is rough with tiny beaches tucked in here and there. 


In the days before electicity, the ships couldn’t find the entrance to a harbor without a signal. Each lighthouse showed the way.


A keeper kept the kerosene lights lit. He’d carry a two gallon can up the stairs every few hours to feed the light. Imagine climbing anywhere from a hundred to two hundred steps no matter what was happening outside.

The Coast Guard has taken over most of the lights in the United States and electrified them. 

I love lighthouses. The mystic of the lonely tender appeals to my romantic imagination. Can you picture yourself there? 


Barbara Edwards is a native New Englander. 

She writes poetry for herself and novels when she needs to tell a longer tale. Barbara is fascinated by the past so naturally that turned to writing historical romance. The dark stories evolve from nightmares. The romance comes from her belief in people’s basic goodness and longing for love. 

She is married to a retired Police Sergeant. They share an interest in target shooting and camping. An avid Civil War re-enactor, Barbara travels the eastern states to participate in events. She loves visiting museums, galleries and battle sites, gathering information for her stories.

She taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community college for three years.
She is fond of gardening and is growing antique roses with limited success. 

Most of her exercise is when her Belgian Shepherd demands a walk. 

Barbara offers an EBook of Ancient Awakenings to one lucky person who comments.

Here’s where to find Barbara Edwards:
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A
(all info provided by authors)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    I enjoyed reading about the lighthouses in Connecticut. Years ago I spent several months in your state with my husband when he was in submarine school in New London. I loved the early spring there. Your books sound fascinating and I wish you success with all of your writing. I, too, write both poetry and romance novels so we have that in common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, the Connecticut lighthouses are beautiful! Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Barbara,

    I enjoyed your post and wish I could take that boat trip. I grew up in Wethersfield, which has been the setting for more than one historical novel. Have you considered it? The old green lined with houses where George Washington slept - or so they claim. The Congregational Church provided the model for repairs on Boston's Old North Steeple (of Paul Revere fame) when a storm blew it over. I now live on the other side of the country, and much as I love San Francisco, I remember Connecticut fondly. There are definitely days I can imagine living on my own little island, but long term... Nope.

    Best of luck with your writing,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    If you were here in the spring, you got the best of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jennifer. I wish I could post all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia,
    My paranormals are set in a New England town with a Green and churches. Fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I love lighthouses too, and on visits to USA coasts as well as those in Canada my husband and I photographed quite a few, though we've never found one open to the public. I am a hobby miniaturist (as well as a writer) and my collection of miniature structures (from 1/4 to 1" tall) includes several lighthouses.

    Connecticut is a lovely state. Thanks for the visit and the introduction to your writing.

    Radine

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Trying again. My first comment seems to have vanished.)
    I love lighthouses too, and, though I've never had a chance to visit one and go inside, my husband and I have photographed many of them on our coastline travels in the USA and Canada. As a miniature hobbyist I have 7 tiny lighthouses in my collection, all of them from 1/4 to 1" high. I also enjoyed reading about your writing. Radine

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest